quarta-feira, 12 de dezembro de 2012

A Thank you note...


Perdoem-me meus amigos no Brasil, mas hoje o post é em inglês!
So I have always loved photos! Big deal! Who doesn’t??
Pictures are a wonderful way to make your present last forever! Who does not want that? 
(Ok, if it's not a happy present, you may not! But, let's think see the glass half full here!)

Well, earlier this year I thought I could be a photographer. 

(Who, you??)
Yes, even Obama must have laughed at me! 
 I started a course, bought a camera, lenses and walked around the city looking for nice images. Images I had seen behind my lenses that would be unusual and beautiful to all. Then, I came across an add on the Roosevelt Island's local newspaper inviting people to send their pictures of the beautiful island I live on for the next year’s calendar. Naive, as I am, I sent a few of mine. One of them was printed on one of the newspaper’s weekly issue.
I got so excited about it that when they showed the pictures that had been selected for the calendar I could not notice that wonderful September 11th picture was not mine! Motivated by a mistake, I ordered a few calendars with “my picture” to send my folks in Brazil, so they could feel a bit of my belonging to NYC… AT LAST!
To my surprise, when I got the calendars, the September picture was not  mine, - big disappointment here - but one that looked a lot like the one I had taken.
 
Knowing that in the US the customer is always well respected, I requested for a refund of those calendars, as it would make no sense that I sent them to my family 'cause none of my images had been in it.
unlike what I could expect, the story did not end in the very welcome return of the calendars I had mistakenly purchased. 

That was when Santa Dick Lutz Claus showed up! 
And also a bit of the admirable culture difference!

I got an email from the newspaper’s editor - Dick - saying he had left something for me at the building’s concierge. 
What a surprise and happiness was it when I saw my pictures printed to the 2013’s Roosevelt Island Calendar?!?!?

SPEECHLESS!
Still am!
If by any chance this was intended to be a minor Merry Christmas-Happy Holiday gift gesture; I must say Santa Claus was so lucky to have chosen this way to make me happy this year. 

Tonight I am just so proud of my pictures!!! 
And so happy to share this feeling with you all!

Dick, we have never met! However, you made me feel like I belong!
THANK YOU! So much!
May we all make people as happy as I feel now!

Merry Christmas to all! 
feLICIdade in Portuguese means happiness in English, however, in Portuguese my name is in it! ;)

3 comentários:

  1. Lici, that is so amazing! What a great story ... and I love the happy end!!! By the way, "famous" photographer, when are you going to post the picture we took tonight? :-)
    Bjs.
    Maria Ines

    ResponderExcluir